Monday, July 22, 2013

Vitamin D, Tysabri and Running...Rx's for my MS



I just read a very inspiring article on runnersworld.com about a 35 year old man who started running and changed his life. This article resonated with me for several reasons but, mostly because he has MS and started running as a way to lose weight and stay fit for his kids. It got me thinking that more neurologists should recommend Running as a remedy for MS.

I am a big proponent of Vitamin D. I know it can do wonders for people, especially those with MS. I am also a big fan of treatment. Tysabri is my treatment of choice at the moment and I could not be happier with it. I also try and get my daily dose of crossword puzzles because I know it keeps my mind sharp. But, out of everything I've tried, nothing has helped me more than a little ol' drug they call Running.

I started running almost 3 years ago and I cannot emphasize enough what a difference it has made. Not only with my MS but, with my overall health, happiness and well-being. I always joke that if I didn't run, I would surely be in the Nuthouse by now! My daughter said to me recently, "Mom, if you didn't do so many races, we'd have enough money to go on an expensive vacation." I replied, "Ummm, honey, if I didn't run so much, I would be spending ALL of our money on therapy and would be in no condition to even go on vacation." I think she caught my drift!

Now, I realize running is not for everyone. I do know that I am extremely blessed to be able to run. I know there are lots of folks with MS (or not) who cannot run, let alone walk and my heart goes out to them. I have always adhered to the mantra, "Use it or Lose it" because I know there may come a day when I can no longer lace up my shoes and just go for a run. But, for now, since I've learned to run and while I'm able to run, I will. I don't want to look back someday and say, "Man, I wish I'd run while I had the chance."

I know doctor's need to promote their own profession by pushing pharmaceuticals and all, but really the answer is pretty simple: Get moving. Doesn't matter how fast you are. Heck, doesn't even matter if you are walking, rolling or scooting, just as long as you are moving. For me, it is running. For someone else, it may be walking to the mailbox everyday. But, find that thing that makes YOU feel alive and DO IT!




2 comments:

  1. I saw your blog through your post on the article on Runner's World's facebook, and I am right there with you! I call MS my "Over The Road Therapy"! =) And my mantra is "Move It or Lose It". My treatment in addition to running and exercise is Avonex, and I have had great success with it since my diagnosis 11 years ago. I feel very fortunate because I know that many others have not had the same path with MS. Best wishes to you, with MS and with running - our drug of choice!! #irunms

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it!! Thanks so much for the comment! I did Avonex for a few years as well and loved it. I just got tired of the shots and my MS symptoms were getting worse so, my doctor recommended Tysabri. So far, it is a miracle drug. Best of luck to you - sounds like you are doing great!! Keep on running!!

    ReplyDelete