Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Aunt Fab's Favorite Finds!

I have decided to do a weekly summer post, highlighting my favorite things for that week! I grappled with what to call it: 5 Fabulous Finds, Fab Finds, Friday Five, My Favorite Things...Well, I finally came up with "Aunt Fab's Favorite Finds!" My darling nieces who live in California nicknamed me "Aunt Fabulous" several years ago. Soon, it was shortened to "Aunt Fab" and it just sort of stuck...and I love it!! :) I mean, who doesn't love being called FAB?

I decided not to limit the number of items OR post on a certain day, so this leaves it open for me to highlight as many things as I want each week AND I can do it whatever day I feel like! And, finally, I went with the name because my 12 year old said it sounded good. And, believe me, she should know!

So, let's not wait a second longer...Here it is...

My Inaugural First Week of Aunt Fab's Favorite Finds:
 
1.
This is by far my favorite of the week!! It is an insulated water cup, just like the ones from Starbucks, but...it is a MASON jar!! OMG! I love it so much!! I love that it has a handle, I love that it is double insulated to keep water super cold, I love the lid that looks just like a mason jar lid, I love the white straw that doesn't fall out...and I love the design on the front!! The only thing I don't love is that it doesn't fit in my car cupholder...Oh well! It's cuteness more than makes up for it's impracticality.
Bed, Bath and Beyond $9.99
 
2.
This thing is the BOMB-DIGGITY!!
I absolutely LOVE it! It is great for floating the river, hanging out on the lake
or watching an outdoor movie on a big screen (they do that here in Bend!)
It holds 2 people comfortably (but you can easily fit 3 kids) and
it has a built-in cooler!! How cool is that?
The cooler keeps drinks cold OR towels, extra clothes, cellphones and car keys dry!
Big 5 $40
(Reg price is $49.99 but, I got it when it was on sale which makes me love it even more!)
 
3.
This book is REAAAAALLLLY good.
I found it while flipping thru my Real Simple magazine last month.
The article was entitled "Summer Books for Every Reader"and this one caught my eye.
It said, "If you're suffering from Gone Girl withdrawals, here's your fix."
I immediately reserved it at the library (I never buy books!)
and just started it this week. It is so good, one of those can't put down,
twist at every turn kind of book!
and by the way, if you haven't read Gone Girl by Jillian Flynn...you must!
The Silent Wife by A.S.A. Harrison, FREE cuz I got it from the library
(sadly the author passed away from cancer after writing this book, her first novel)
 
 

4.
My hubby and I ran the "Spark Your Heart" 5k on 4th of July last week.
It has become an annual tradition for us.
When I went to pick up our race packets, I was sooooo excited!
Not only was there a cute, comfy, tech shirt (I have no use for cotton when I run!)
there was also an SPF stick and chapstick (not pictured).
Race Entry, FREE cuz our friend's company was a sponsor!
Wow! If only ALL race organizers would follow suit, this world would be a better place!
I am guessing it has something to do with the fact that the hospital sponsored the event!
 

5.
Okay, so this really isn't a "find" per se but, a whole lot of little finds.
Last week my college son decided it was time to spruce up our back patio.
 Boy, has it made a difference in our life!
He found this cool firepit with the Oregon Duck logo on it
(it looks really cool at night when it's lit up!)
Then, he went to Home Depot and bough cinder blocks, 2x4s and plywood. I threw on a few pillows and his old dorm comforter and purchased a few odds 'n ends at Pier One...and Voila!
We had ourselves a comfy fire pit sitting area for right around $300!
I absolutely LOVE it.
It is such a wonderful addition to our living space, utilizing a very under-used area before.
I love to sit out there in the morning sun, doing my crossword and sipping coffee while our dog lays comfortably beside me AND it is so much fun to sit around the fire with family and friends at night
and roast marshmallows and share stories. You feel like you're camping in your own backyard.
 
Firepit, High Desert Ranch & Home $197 (Retails for $300 but, hey we know the owner!)
Cinder Blocks, Home Depot $1 each
Wood, Home Depot $15 total
String of 10 Paper Lantern Lights, Pier One $12.95
Tiki Torch Citronella Candles, Pier One $6 each
Cute Tiki Tavern Hut sign, Pier One $15
Long Bench Cushion, Fred Meyer $24
To all you parents of teenagers, if you want your kids to spend more time at home:
"Build it...and They will come!"
I just wish we had done it sooner!
~
So, there you have it! Aunt Fab's Favorite Finds, Week 1!
Leave a comment below if you want to see more...
And let me know some of your FAVE finds!
Thanks!

2 comments:

  1. Margie, I love this! It's like Oprah's favorite things, but affordable. I'm going to check out Bed, Bath, and Beyond today to see if I can find one of those great mason jar cups. I also love your outdoor area and can't wait to see it next month.
    Shauna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, sista! I hadn't thought about it being like Oprah's but, a friend said that too after I posted it and I guess it sorta is!! :) Cannot wait for you guys to come in a few weeks - we can sit out by the firepit and make smores!! Love you...

    ReplyDelete