Monday, August 6, 2012

return to the run

Okay, I managed to run consecutively for 28 days. I had originally set out to run everyday the whole month of July...but, as the month neared to a close, I decided that the month was just a few days too long. (I mean, had it been February, I would have accomplished my goal!) Rewind to last Sunday morning: I am laying in bed. My house is full of sleeping kids (I have my brother's two kids in addition to my daughter) and a dog and is absent one husband and son. I wake up after a restful slumber and peel off my eye mask and peer at the clock. It is 8am and the house is eerily quiet! I think to myself, I could get up and run OR I could lay here and relish in this peaceful moment and wait for my darling little nephew to come stumbling in, all sleep-eyed. I chose Plan B! And, boy was I glad. The little guy came wandering in my room a little after 8 and took his spot next to me and our sleeping dog, on my bed. At first, I thought he was going to go back to sleep, so I closed my eyes and again relished in the moment - having a 4 year old boy nestled beside me in my bed - and lay there with my heart full of joy. I opened my eyes a few minutes later, only to find the cutest, blue-eyed boy gazing up at me, his chin perched in his little hands. He was totally quiet ... but, wide awake! I asked him if he wanted to cuddle some more or get up. He said in the quietest, sweetest voice, "Let's. Get. Up."

And to think I could have missed that sweet moment. Sometimes the best plan is the alternate one.

Fast forward to this morning: I reignited my passion for running after a week hiatus! My running partner and I started our 10-week training for an October Half Marathon, today. The alarm went off at 6am. I lay there for a few minutes, wondering why in the world this rude noise was disturbing my peaceful slumber. And, then I looked over and saw my running clothes all layed out. And remembered. If it were not for my amazing running partner, Rachel showing up to my house in 15 minutes, I would have pulled the covers over my head in a heartbeat...but, alas! We had some catching up to do (both in  running and in life!) So, I headed out the door.

I am happy to be back to my routine. My legs are rested. My heart pitter pattered again for the first time in a week. The endorphins were back. I came home all "Sweaty Betty" and red-faced. It felt so good. Truth is, I am just happier when I run.

But, sometimes, even the best of intentions need to take a back seat to life's little pleasures. Like cuddling up with a sleepy head 4-year old. Or staying in bed an extra hour on a Sunday morning to read the paper with your hubby. Life is good, even delicious at times. Eat it up! Set goals...but, don't get so caught up in achieving them that you lose sight of the good stuff.



No comments:

Post a Comment