Tuesday, August 7, 2012

dorm smarts

Oh Boy! Times have changed! 29 years ago, when I was getting ready to head off to college, I don't remember packing much. I mean, I was going to live in a 10x10 shoebox afterall. I think my packing list consisted of: toothbrush, toothpaste, washcloths, towel, hangers and laundry bag - Oh, and maybe some whiteout (remember that stuff?) and a roll of quarters for the centrally located hallway pay phone! It certainly was not the SEVEN page "Student's Dorm Room Checklist" that we just received in the mail! Seriously, people, do college freshman really NEED all this stuff? There is one page alone dedicated to Computers and Electronics. There is also an entire section devoted to Cooking, Cleaning and Laundry supplies. Good Lord, back in my day, we ate food in the cafeteria (not our rooms), we didn't have anything to clean (we shared a communal bathroom) and laundry consisted of lugging our pillowcases down to the basement and throwing a few coins in the washing machine.

Nowadays, you 've got laptops, laptop sleeves, laptop bags, cables, surge protectors and printers. Basically these kids all have mini Best Buys in their dorm rooms! Oh, and of course, don't forget the expensive laptop locks, just in case, God forbid, someone steals your laptop when you run to the bathroom. Ugh!

My son is deadset on bringing his 47" flatscreen which he bought with his own money the day after Thanksgiving last year. He bought it with the sole intention of taking it to college. I don't know if he has stepped foot in the dorms lately, but there is barely room for a clock radio so, not sure how he will swing this. But, knowing him, he will find a way. And, I guess the plus side of a flatscreen is that they don't take up much shelf space. When I was a freshman in the dorms, we had a community TV room in the basement. That is where we all gathered on Sunday nights to watch Dallas or weekday soap operas between classes.

Well, back to the "Dorm Room Checklist"... I figured I better shop in installments so as not to have it hit the pocketbook all at once. So, today, we went to Costco and Dollar Tree and spent $44 at both stores. Here's what we bought at each one:



$44. 4 items. Paper plates, Cetaphil, Ziploc Bags and Napkins. (Costco)

$44. 44 items. Hand towels, washcloths, air freshners, dish towels, food storage containers, garbage bags, plastic cups, pizza cutter, spatula, paper towels, chip clips, can opener, utensils, cutting board, memo board, assorted cleaning products and a big bucket to name a few. (Dollar Tree)


As I am writing this blog, my husband came home for lunch and saw all this stuff laying around the living room. His first words were "What the hell is all this for?" I laughed and said, "My sentiments exactly." Then, he goes into a long dissertation about how he took only 2 suitcases of clothes, his skis (he went to school in Colorado) and a toothbrush to school (bedding and pillows were a total afterthought for him). I laughed again and said, "Welcome to Dorm Living 2012".

Okay, another thing. I thought this LIST came from my son's college. But, he just informed that he printed it all out on line on some random website called www.dormsmart.com. It is a generic dorm room checklist. I realized at that moment that I may have been "duped" into buying a bunch of stuff he really doesn't need or that may not even fit in his given dorm room. Oh well, atleast I shop at the Dollar Tree so, my money goes a little further!  I have a better name for that webste, perhaps, www.dupeyourmomintothinkingyouneedallthisshit.com.

And, one final thing: reading down the list of supplies, I come across small funnel. I asked my son, "What could you possibly need a funnel for?" And then, I laughed and said, "Oh, just take my beer bong and save yourself the trouble of making one!"

Ahhhh...College Life! Maybe things haven't changed all that much afterall!


1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness, you're right - it has all changed!! What an exciting time to be mom... so many changes for him and you get to go along on the ride too!

    ReplyDelete