Wednesday, August 15, 2012

the best day

Today, was a lovely day. The kind of day that just makes you smile. The kind of day that makes you so thankful to live in a beautiful city in the good ol' USofA! The kind of day, that once it has started, you decide, "I should do a blog about this day!" So here it is ... my idea of a perfect day!

The best day.

I will preface by saying that my daughter is away at camp this week, so I have had some extra "ME" time. I am trying to do stuff that I can't do when she is around. Lay by the pool, and read my book. Get a facial at the beauty school and a manicure at the fancy salon downtown. Float the river with my hubby in our kayak. Ride bikes to the new brewery by our house. Nap in the middle of the day. You get the idea, right?

Today, I had a 10am manicure appointment at a fancy salon downtown called "Tangerine". My dear friend and running buddy, Rachel gave me a gift certificate back in May for my bday and I had yet to use it. I had placed it on my desk so, everyday I would look at it and be reminded that I needed to schedule some "ME" time to go do it.



 
Here's a picture of it. It is right next door to the only fancy hotel we have in Bend, The Oxford Hotel. I had never been to this particular salon and not sure I would have gone if I didn't have a gift certificate!! But, I totally fell in love with it, had the best conversation with my nail gal and walked out feeling so amazing with pretty pink nails to boot! Oh, I love me a fresh new coat of paint!

I had decided to ride my bike to my appointment. And, boy am I glad I did! I had plans to meet a good friend for lunch so, I figured I could just tool around town and take in the sights. I threw my book and a blanket in my basket at the last minute, just in case I had extra time and then, I was off!

On the way, I drove thru my banks' ATM drive-thru and waved at the gal in the window. Took out some cash and headed downtown. ( I don't know why it makes me so giddy to ride my bike thru drive-thrus that are clearly meant for cars, but it does!)

After my fab mani, I rode down towards the Old Mill shopping district...on my way, I passed a cute lil' drive thru coffee kiosk...saw a friend of mine in the drive-up window on her bike and said, "This must be the drive-up bike window!" I ordered a yummy salted caramel blended frappacino w/whipped cream, recommended by the barista!! (Hey, I was burning so many damn calories, I might as well indulge, right?!)


There's my lil' bike parked out front!

From there, I headed down to the Old Mill (where I was meeting my friend for lunch in an hour).


(So happy I remembered to put a bungie cord in my basket to serve as a drink holder! :)

Once I got to the Old Mill, I decided to camp out on the grass and read my book. (I am reading the BEST book right now called "Wild" by Cheryl Strayed. It's one woman's story about hiking the Pacific Crest Trail all by herself! So good.) Anyhoo, I found a great spot under a tree and layed out my blankie and began reading (while sipping on my delish frap).


As I sat there reading, I realized I have never done this before. I mean, I have ridden my bike plenty to and from places, but never really toured the city like I was doing and certainly never parked my booty right smack dab in the middle of a busy shopping/dining hub. I loved watching the folks, taking in the gorgeous view (see pics below) and just listening to the sounds of my little city. A mom and her 2 sons were riding bikes, the boys were complaining about being hungry, hot and tired. So, the mom said in sort of sad, melancholy voice, "Alright, I'll return my bike to the rental place now." I felt so sad for her! And, I'm a little embarrassed to admit this, but I glanced over at my lil' cruiser and quietly whispered, "I'm glad you are mine!"


Mt. Bachelor peeking through the trees and Deschutes River in the foreground.


The 3 Sisters and Broken Top mountains.

Ahh...I love my little town! Finally, it was time to meet my friend for lunch. So, I walked my bike over to the restaurant and we sat at a wonderful outdoor table, overlooking the same river and mountains pictured above. We dined on the salad sampler, broiled butternut squash appetizer and wine. We lingered at our table long after we'd paid our bill, the way people do, who are in no hurry to go anywhere. It was simply delicious!


Cheers! Here's to more days like today!








No comments:

Post a Comment