Thursday, November 29, 2012

the real me




I think I finally figured out why I LOVE running so much!! I was running with my girlfriend early this morning, sweating and dripping, running around and around the track. We usually run 30-40 minutes and just talk about everything under the sun! Religion, Football, Personal Stuff we have going on, Work, Family, Family problems, You name it! Nothing is off limits. And, let me tell you, that half hour or 40 minutes goes by lightening FAST! Some mornings, when my alarm blasts and rudely wakes me out of an awesome dream (!) I would love to pull the covers over my sleepy eyes and go back to sleep...but, then I remember that I have a date with my running buddy who I need to catch up with and I bound out of bed before my mind has a chance to catch up with my feet!! And, I am off....and running! Literally.

Well, this morning, I had one of those light bulb moments as to why running is so important and vital to my sanity! As we were running, she mentioned that her and a friend were getting together for happy hour. She asked if I'd like to join them. I said "No, I can't....blah blah blah...." Trying to think of an excuse why I couldn't sneak away for an hour or so for an adult beverage and adult-only conversation.

Don't get me wrong, I love gettin' together with friends as much as the next person...but, the thought of coming home from a long day at work, having to put on a cute "going out" outfit,  leaving my warm house and family on a cold evening, making small talk about who went where and who just bought the latest what, just did not sound appealing.

And, then it hit me! Running is the ultimate "ME time", it's the time where I feel most like myself. It is the most "stripped down, honest, open and vulnerable" I will ever be. When I run with my friend, like I said, any topic is fair game. Maybe it's because we run side by side and not face to face...that I feel I can be my most complete and authentic self. Maybe it's because it is so damn early that neither one of us will remember what was said. Or maybe it's because I don't have any make-up on and my hair is a mess, so I feel real, raw, genuine, more like the "real me" than I feel at any other time of the day. Or maybe it is a combination of all of the above.

Whatever it is, this love affair I have with running is simply amazing and I hope it never ends. But, if I look at it honestly, I believe it will reveal that it really isn't the running that gets me going, it is the honest and frank conversation that goes along with the running. It is the way I feel when I am done: exhausted, wiped out, fatigued and spent physically, while at the same time, feeling filled up, pumped up, exhilirated and mentally ready to face whatever the day brings! Who'd have thunk it? Girls Night Out just became Girls Morning In!!


Me and my amazing running partner!!

2 comments:

  1. I noticed yesterday while taking my favorite barista out for his FIRST trail run, that in fact I can now farmer blow in front of anyone! If that isn't being yourself?? and do not underestimate the "side by side" talk!! I now use it in ALL my relationships ;)

    <3 U!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Running is all about being your true self! How did you find my blog?

      Delete