Saturday, June 16, 2012

Summer Rules

I know, sounds like an oxymoron, right? It's summertime...which equates to no school, no schedule, no shoes, no rules! But, as a teacher and a mom, by nature, I still have to have some sort of organization to our otherwise chaotic, carefree, "no-schedule" summer days!

It's the first official day of summer and my daughter is already complaining. She is bored (the ink hasn't even dried from her 5th grade graduation certificate!) She doesn't have a thing to do. Well, I could make a list of a million things she could do!! So, this moment is what got me thinking about the topic for this blog: "Summer Rules". And, here they are, starting with the most important: (insert drumroll here...)

#1. The word "bored" cannot be uttered from June 15th - September 4th! First of all, if you are bored, it is an insult to yourself. And, second of all, there is always something to do. If you can't think of something on your own, I will be happy to hand over my TO DO list to you...and believe me, you don't want that! (I am even considering charging a small fine when I hear that dreaded "B" word!)

2. If we can ride bikes there, we will. (We are blessed to live in one of the most bike friendly cities in the nation!)

3. Spend 20 minutes reading something every day. (If your kids are not readers, make a chart, buy some stickers and give them weekly "treats" for their hard work!)

4. Try something new every week! (Go to a new park, a new restaurant, or simply play a game you've never played before, right at home!)

5. Go Barefoot as much as possible...(As a kid, I remember spending the entire summer barefoot! I had a never-ending stubbed big toe and skinned knee AND of course, my share of bee stings and sharp object imbedded in my foot...but, man it was worth it to feel the cool grass beneath my feet! I don't think kids these days go barefoot enough -probably not "PC" or something! Pfft!)

6. Sleep under the stars atleast once!! (Even if it's in your own backyard!)

7. Eat a sloppy, sticky s'more whenever you get the chance! (and if you are worried about the calories, plop a piece of dark chocolate on instead of the milk chocolate, and VOILA! a healthy s'more 'cuz there are hardly ANY calories in marshmallows OR graham crackers, right?!!)

8. Sleep in if you feel like it.

9. Keep your freezer stocked with Otter Pops!! (Buy the 5000 pack at Costco and your kids will always have a yummy snack to cool them off!)

10. Go skinny dipping! (Okay, so I threw this one in for the adults, there is nothing more freeing to tear off your suit and swim in a remote lake or river or your own pool after the kids are asleep!!) hee he

So, there you have it...not a long list by any means, especially coming from the "Queen of Lists!" But, I think it covers the basics! Summer is a time to relax, replenish and re-charge those low batteries. But, the teacher and mom in me, says that we also need to keep our minds sharp and our creativity a cookin' even without the structure of everyday classrooms instruction - the best of both worlds perhaps!

Happy Summer!!!


Ahhh...the joy of summer!!

No comments:

Post a Comment