Saturday, June 30, 2012

Olympic Track Trials

I had a chance yesterday to witness history in the making. I got to spend the day in beautiful Eugene, Oregon..."Track Town USA" watching the Olympic Track and Field trials. Wow! What a cool experience!

Before I took up running, you wouldn't have caught me dead at a track trial. Never have had an iota of interest in watching them. But, now that my love affair with the almighty run has blossomed into a full-blown affair, all I wanted to do was attend the trials this year. Tickets weren't cheap. The weather wasn't great. Had to drive over and back within 24 hours due to prior commitments...but, man, was it worth it!

Just watching these amazing men and women run...and jump...and throw...and hurdle! Well, it is nothing short of beautiful! Their long, lean and strong legs leave you gaping in awe that a human body can actually look like that! And, oh, don't even get me started on their washboard abs!!! :)

The most interesting event for me was the Women's Steeplechase Finals, the last event of the day. The women have to run around the track 7 1/2 times, while jumping over hurdles, one of which has a pool of water to jump over as well...It amazes me what grace and dignity these agile athletes exhibit and I am in awe as they run so fast all the while jumping over the hurdles. I mean, I can barely manage to make it over small rocks and weeds when I run...I can't imagine having to hurl myself over several barricades! It also amazes me that a milisecond can make the difference in packing your bags to go to London or packing your bags to go home. Never again, will I doubt the significance of shaving minutes or even seconds off my race times. One of their slogans, reads: "From Eugene to London in 22 seconds!" I now know first hand, how true that is.

I witnessed some of the fastest runners in the trials...Sanya Richards-Ross, Allyson Felix and Emma Coburn. Watch for these ladies! They will no doubt be making some waves in London!

It was just cool to have a birds eye view at an event that is so awe-inspiring and tradition-laden such as this. I feel blessed to have been able to go. And, I realize that, yes, I have become a bonafide, official running GEEK because I was totally wrapped up in the days events, never once leaving my seat...glued to the "going ons" below me. The "old me" would have never done that! The "old me" would have spent more time in the beer garden than on the bleachers. The "old me" would have thought a steeplechase was when two people are rushing to the altar to get married! I have to smile when I think how far I've come in the last 2 years and how much running has changed my life and interests!


Emma Coburn wins the Womens Steeplechase Finals...

No comments:

Post a Comment