Saturday, February 4, 2012

Things I never did or said until I started running...

Read an issue of Runner's World cover to cover? Oh my gosh, if I were sitting in a doctor's office waiting room, I would have reached for a leaflet entitled "Questions to ask your Urologist" or "10 telltale signs of skin cancer" before I would have opened a running magazine. Before running, I had never picked up a running magazine. I never had the desire or need to. Since taking up running a year and a half ago, I have checked out every single issue of the magazine at our library and just recently SUBSCRIBED to the magazine for the year. What a running nerd I have become!! I look so forward to the day that the magazine arrives in the mail, I read it cover to cover...there are so many great tips, articles and regular monthly columns that I just can't wait to get my hands on it. I even bought my running buddy her own subscription...and recently, she told me she received the March issue in the mail. I was so excited...I ran to my mailbox hoping to see my own copy awaiting me...only to be sadly disappointed to see an empty box. 2 weeks later, I still have not received mine and I am not too proud to admit that I'm a little sad and very jealous of my friend. She is such a good friend, though and I think she has noticed my mild depression everytime the subject comes up, that she offered to bring me her copy Monday morning when we run. Oh, bless you, Rach...you are a good friend. Always knowing exactly what I need!

Here are some other things that just would have seemed downright crazy to me, before the running bug bit me...

  • Buying 4 pair of running shoes within a 16 month period.
  • Spending a large amount of my discretionary income on running gear and race entries (afterall, a girl cannot have too many cute pairs of running socks or BicBand headbands, right?!)
  • Owning or ever even contemplating using a pair of "yak traks" for running in the snow and ice...I mean, who in the hell does that???
  • Taking not one, not two, but THREE Learn to Run classes at the local running store...Okay, so I'm a slow learner!!
  • Rushing to read the Sports Section of the Sunday paper to see results of the previous day's 5k. I mean, it's way more fun when your own name is in the paper, right?!!
  • Using "I ran" and "a half marathon" in the same sentence...More importantly, using "I can't wait to run another" and "half marathon" in the same sentence. That would have been complete crazy talk to the "old me".
  • Looking for a run to do when I go on vacation (or at the very least packing my running shoes) or God forbid, planning a vacation around a race. Again, the "old me" would have said..."Isn't the whole point of a vacation to just lie around and forgo your excercise regimen?" Or "Isn't running to the fridge for another beer, exercise enough?" Oh no, the new runner in me, is always LOOKING for a way to stay motivated and in shape - even on vacay.
Okay, okay, I think you get the idea. I went from someone who never ran, never wanted to run and just didn't see the point....to someone who is a complete running freak, geek and certified nut about running and hopefully someone who has inspired a few other people along the way!!



Get out there!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment