Monday, September 5, 2011

The good ol' days are here and now...

All I want is to freeze time. In a few short days, my son will be a HS senior and my daughter will be beginning her last year of elementary school. Wow! Talk about wanting time to stand still...I have never before felt so excited for my children's new adventures, or been so afraid of them slipping away. It is a weird feeling, because I know that a year from now, my baby boy will be heading off to college, moving into his dorm room, beginning a life of his own as an adult. And, my beautiful daughter will be heading off into what I think is one of the toughest times of a girl's life....middle school. So, I need to focus on the here and now...I don't want a single day to go by without truly soaking up and breathing in the fact that both of my kids are home with us, under one roof, right where they belong. I want to live in the moment, I want to savor everything from making their lunches, to watching their dance recitals and football games, to listening at their door at night to see if they are asleep...I really wish I could freeze time, but I know I can't. I guess, part of our jobs as mother's is giving our kids wings to fly when we are not there. I just have to hope that I've done my job well enough...that I gave my children the right tools to go out in this big, scary world. And, then of course, I need to give it all up to God because I know He is the one who is truly in control.

I am so excited to see what kind of people my kids will become...to live vicariously through their experiences as they greet life head on. I already plan on going to visit my son every weekend in college...much to his disdain!! Why can't every weekend be MOM's weekend? hee hee

I think, too many times we look back on things and wish we had enjoyed it more .. or truly appreciated it. Not until later, do we realize, those really were the good ol' days, and we should have enjoyed them more. I don't want to make that mistake...although, I know that life gets busy and sometimes, the reality of everyday life is hard. I know I will get caught up in petty worries or silly stuff that really isn't important, that will detract from this special time of our lives. I need to remind myself that I won't get these days back. Like it or not, my kids are growing up and sooner than later, they will be leaving the nest we built. I can only hope that they will fly home to visit often.

Life is good. Hug your kids. Enjoy the chaos. It really doesn't get any better than RIGHT NOW!

No comments:

Post a Comment