Wednesday, July 20, 2011

All or Nothing, Baby!

I am an "all or nothing" kind of gal. I either workout 4-5 days a week, or I go months without ever stepping foot into a gym. If I open a box of Juju Fruits, there is no way in hell any of those chewy, stick-in-your teeth, crack-like nuggets are going to make it out of there alive! If I drink one beer, I drink six! I read a book a week or I don't read all summer long. I just don't understand the whole concept of "moderation." I do like to give things up from time to time - just to prove to myself that I can! I have been known (much to the disdain of my family members) to give up facebook for Lent. And, sometimes, I go beyond the 40 days just to make everyone mad (not really, it's just that sometimes, it feels so good...I like to go a little longer!) Another thing I give up every so often is alcohol. Those who know me, know this about me: I am a party girl through and through, but I come by it honestly (both of my dear grandmas lived long lives and partook in the Irish whiskey or champagne wholeheartedly!) In fact, my one grandma was in a fender bender back in her 30's, possibly after consuming a libation, and vowed that night to either give up drinking or driving...and she never drove again after that! God bless her heart! I don't really think I have a problem with alcohol, but I am always amazed how good I feel when I go without it for a long period of time. I wake up naturally (without an alarm) every morning at 5:30, ready to face the day, energized, well rested and eager to begin. If I have even one glass of wine or a beer the night before, I wake up groggy, tired and not wanting to get out of bed. The amount of miles I run each day is directly related to the number of beers I didn't drink! Strange how that happens. Right now, I'm on a no-drinking kick, well because honestly, I've been overdoing it just a tad with lots of social gatherings and family in town and it being summer and all. Currently, I'm on Day 6 - which to a non-drinker, would seem like nothing to shout (or blog!) about. But, for those of you who get where I'm coming from, who maybe even down a glass or two a night yourselves, know that 6 days is pretty impressive!! I think it's healthy to give bad habits a rest now and then. My friends who are "moderators" don't really get that. They are the types of people who can enjoy one glass of wine and jump out of bed the next morning, ready to go...or make a box of Juju Fruits last all week! Not me, I'm all or nothing, baby and proud of it! Problem is, I've got more family arriving this weekend...so, it looks like my sobriety is about to come to a screeching halt!! Cheers!! I'll drink to that!!

No comments:

Post a Comment