Wednesday, January 10, 2018

What it's really like to do a Juice Cleanse

So, you wanna do a Juice cleanse? Wanna give your sorry ol' liver a little break? Wanna wipe the slate clean and start over? You may want to read this first!!!

I just finished my third Juice Cleanse. I feel like I've kind of got this thing down by now but, man oh man, I could've used some pointers my first time around!!!

Here are 10 helpful tips from a girl who's been there and done that:

1. Grab a friend. Everything is easier when done alongside a friend! Believe me, you will want someone who is in the trenches with you. Someone you can ask questions to and commiserate with. Errr...I mean, celebrate with! When its over.

2. Know before you "go". Seriously, why didn't the brochure warn me about the cabernet colored explosions I'd experience on Day 3 or the distinct changes in the shape, color and length of...well, you get the idea!! Also, plan to spend more time going #1 as well. Better yet, you may want to camp out in your bathroom for 3 days. Just kidding. Kind of.

3. Eat some real food already. Drinking nothing but juice for 3 days makes a girl extremely hangry!!! The first time I did my cleanse, I didn't eat a thing! I have no idea how I survived without biting my own arm off. The second and third time, I got smart! I took the advice in the brochure and added in whole, clean foods throughout my day. Roasted veggies, raw veggies, apples, berries, bananas, a few nuts here & there. Having something to sink my teeth into made all the difference between merely surviving and actually enjoying a cleanse. Well, maybe the word "enjoying" is a bit of a stretch!!

4. Get your rest.

5. Keep reminding yourself "it's only 3 days!" You can do anything for 3 days. Right?

6. Pamper yourself in other ways. Sauna and Epsom salt baths are suggested as additional detox tools but, maybe go a step further and get a facial or pedi to really take your mind off it. It does help.

7. Count your blessings. Some folks go to bed hungry nightly. Some don't have enough money for groceries at all. And a whole lot of people would say spending $100 on 3 days of juice is just plain cray-cray. So, embrace the fact that a.) you are capable of doing this physically & financially and b.) that you will eat regular food again. Sure puts things in perspective.

8. Avoid Food Network or any other food related shows or magazines while cleansing! Trust me on this.

9. Follow up with clean eating. A juice cleanse is a great way to jump start weight loss! I've lost up to 5 lbs doing them but, if you go back to  your old ways, so will your waistline!

10. Pat yourself on the back. Better yet, print up a diploma that says "I can do hard things." Because you did. While you're at it, also print one up that says, "I am a Badass!" Because you are.

Good Job! You did it! Congrats! Your liver thanks you! You, my friend, are a rock star!

No comments:

Post a Comment