Friday, December 27, 2013

We don't twitter we don't tweet we just live on Flanders street

I feel kind of bad because I am stealing a fave saying of my dear 81 year old dad for the title of this blog but, I love it! My dad is known for funny sayings (most of them old adages like "no use crying over spilled milk" and "don't burn daylight"). But, this one is a real Burke original and deserves a place all it's own!

Last summer when my sister and I were going to the wedding of an old family friend, my dad told us "if anyone asks about your mother and I, just tell them: We don't twitter we don't tweet we just live on Flanders street!l" We thought that was pretty funny and clever (and didn't have the heart to tell dad that twitter and tweet are basically the same thing!)

The thing about my dad is that he is a very wise man and many times throughout my life, he has given me words to live by.  When I was a kid and somebody hurt my feelings, he'd make me feel better by saying "sticks and stones may break my bones but, names will never hurt me." When we would go on a road trip, he'd say to all of us kids in the back seat before we left home, "speak now or forever hold your pee!" To this day I still say that to my kids!

One of my favorite "Burk-isms" is when he says "Nobody goes there anymore cuz it's too crowded" when referring to a popular restaurant. Again, we don't have the heart to tell him that somebody must be going there! We just smile and nod in agreement! 

I love that my dad's words of wisdom have become part of who we are as a family and I love it when my kids repeat something he has said or say "grandpa comes up with some pretty funny stuff." Makes me think of simpler times when families passed things on from generation to generation. A time when families sat around the dinner table and actually talked to each other. Or danced around the coffee table to old Nat King Cole Christmas tunes playing on the record player. When they went on long Sunday drives or drove to Disneyland without a single handheld device or a portable DVD. They didn't twitter or tweet...and man, life was sweet!




No comments:

Post a Comment