Sunday, June 16, 2013

Dear Dad

Today is Father's Day so, I wanted to pay tribute to the man who raised me, who got me through my teen age years, who paid my way through college, paid for my big catholic wedding (even though, he tried to talk me into eloping and taking the ten grand!) and to this day, is still the Greatest Man I Know.

My dad was raised in a non-affection-showing family. Hugs were not the norm, Kisses were a little awkward and saying "I Love You" was ... well, sort of like saying "There is no Santa Claus to a 2-year old." You get the idea.

Growing up, I always remember my dad working hard. He always did what was best for our family. He loved my mama. He provided well for his 6 kids. I remember one particular summer when we were vacationing at the beach, he had to head back home to work for a few days. When he returned to the beach house, he asked me to come outside and help him with something in the front seat. To my astonishment and surprise, my BEST FRIEND, Paula was hiding under a blanket in the front seat! That was by far, one of the best surprises I've ever received...to this day! I often think about that and wonder how in the world he came up with the idea, how he made it happen and just how much he must have loved me in order to execute such a surprise! It always makes me smile.

He may not have been uber affectionate, or have said the actual words, "I Love You" very often, if at all...but, I always knew that he did. It was the little things he did that spoke louder than anything. The memories I have are of a happy childhood...of a secure and joyful home life. I never wondered where our next meal was coming from and I went to bed happy every single night. When I recall my growing years, I always smile and think fondly of a life well lived.

So, on this special day, I want to say thank you, Dad...for all you've done for me. Big and small. But, I would have to say, most of all, thank you for loving my mama and showing us all what a good marriage looks like. You can't teach that stuff but, you can model it for your children and that is exactly what you have done. I am forever grateful for that gift. And, so lucky to have a father like you.

Your loving daughter...Margery Eileen

Cheers, Dad!
photo taken St. Patrick's Day 2013

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful, loving tribute to your dear dad. Made me cry and just a smidge jealous, but ina good way!

    ReplyDelete