Saturday, February 16, 2013

the joy of missing out

Some people hate missing out on things. There is even a name for this syndrome. It's called "FOMO" or Fear of Missing Out. With the onslaught of social media, this phenomenon has only gotten worse. Now, not only are you missing out on an exciting event, party or vacation, you are forced to see all the photos of someone else who is not.

I am one of those "all-or-nothing" types of people. I have said this before. I don't just drink one beer, I drink 4. I don't just eat one juju bee candy, I devour the whole box! I don't just go on facebook for 5 minutes, I spend about 5-6 times that reading posts, checking out photos and finding clever pics and sayings to post on my own facebook!

So, when Lent rolled around this year, I decided that giving up facebook would probably be the best thing I could do and would probably lead to more spiritual growth than giving up sweets or swearing. So, I did it - cold turkey!

Let me just say...Wow!! What a liberating feeling. I no longer feel the need to run in the house and log onto my computer before putting down my bags. I no longer go to bed with the gnawing feeling that someone else is having way more fun than me. I no longer carry my camera with me everywhere hoping to capture the perfect moment to post on facebook. And, I have an inordinate amount of "free time" that I did not have before. I jokingly told my husband, "I may have to take on some projects around the house now that I am off facebook!" He, of course, handed me the mop and bucket of cleaning supplies and said, "Have at it!"

I have only been off FB for 4 days and already I have this sense of peace and joy that is inexplicable. I have more time to read my daily devotional book. I have more time to stretch and practice yoga before bed. I have more time to read novels. More time to spend with family...the list goes on  and on. I think I have discovered a new phenomenon called "JOMO"...the Joy of Missing Out!

It's funny because last Wednesday at Ash Wednesday mass, one of the scripture readings was all about doing things, but not letting people know about it. For instance, when you fast, do not look glum, but rather try to look happy so others do not know you are fasting. Or, if your right hand does something good, do not let your left hand know it. I can't remember the exact scripture reading (although I have plenty of time to look it up now!) but, it hit home.

How often to we do something fantastic (make a wonderful dinner, run a race, help out in our child's classroom, participate in a charity event) and then immediately post it on facebook?? We even go so far as to post pictures that prove we were really there, that is was really us. That scripture made me stop and think, "Wow! I have been so self-absorbed." God doesn't want us to shout from the rooftops about our accomplishments, but rather, he rejoices in our ability to be still, quiet and reflect inward.

In reading my daily devotion this morning, I came across this wonderful little nugget of wisdom and found it especially poignant: "Although you feel cut off from the activity of the world, your quiet trust makes a powerful statement in spiritual realms."

I am hoping that this brief respite from the outside world will teach me how to look inward and upward for encouragement and positive reinforcement. Who knows? It may even last longer than 40 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment