Wednesday, September 12, 2012

it's true what they say...

All those cliches. All the things people say about rasing kids. You hear 'em say it and it usually goes in one ear and out the other. You think to yourself, "Yeah, right...". When you are in the thick of child rearing, the days sometimes seem endless and you can't imagine a world where you will actually get to close the door when you go to the bathroom. You can't imagine a quiet house. Or better yet, one that stays clean while you are at work.

Don't blink, it goes by way too fast.
You're gonna miss this.
Kids grow fast - before you know it, you will be sending them off to college.

Yeah, Right.

You know what? They were right.

Next week, I will be moving my oldest child into the dorms at college. I can't believe how fast the last 18 years went by. Seems just yesterday, he was cruisin' around in diapers or was obsessing over firetrucks. Now, he is ordering textbooks online and packing boxes full of his most prized possessions.

Today, I drove past his high school on my way home from work, and just stopped and listened to the sounds coming from the football field. Afternoon football practice. I love the sound of kids working hard. Of coaches yelling things. I love the sight of all those kids in green jerseys. Running up and down the field. Expectations of the next game. I just love high school football. Period. What I miss the most right now is "Friday Night Lights". The lights. The speakers. The crowd in the bleachers. The calls. The boys of fall. The hot cocoa.

All I can say is that it does go by fast. Seems like just yesterday he started playing football; I still remember him breaking his thumb during the first game of the season, his junior year. Heartbreaking because he had to have surgery and sit out the entire rest of the season. Then, came his senior year. I went to every home game. He started most games. He even made the paper some mornings. I was such a proud mama!

Even though I don't feel 18 years older than the day he was born, I am. And, like it or not, my baby boy is growing up and becoming a man. His life is waiting. He has never been more ready. And it's time for me to let him go and discover all of it. Whether I am ready or not. Here we go!







No comments:

Post a Comment